The world of SEO has been shaken up in the past few years and changed dramatically. Marketers are having to keep up regularly with what’s outdated, what’s new and what works. As SEO has grown and changed, as with most things, there have been myths floating around that are known to be true. However, the following five common SEO myths are entirely false- and we’re here to tell you why.
- SEO is all about ranking, and we must be #1. There is a strong correlation with search result ranks and clickthrough ranks, but ranking isn’t the main goal of SEO anymore. Now that search results show more rich content, links below the top three are getting clicked on more often. This is also true for being number one- searchers have also been shown to click to top three links on subsequent pages. So, it isn’t the end of the world if your link isn’t first.
- We have to submit our site to Google. Google is a huge search engine (obviously) and it can find your site without you submitting it. Also, a submission doesn’t guarantee anything- you don’t need to “tell” Google about your site. They’ll find you.
- Links > Content. More links is not better than more content. The focus on links should be quality, not quantity. And if your site is putting out links with no rich content, then the amount won’t matter. Investing in content makes more sense than investing in throwing links around.
- SEO and Social Media aren’t related. SEO and social media do have an intersection- it’s called “social search.” Your relevant and unique content will drive your social media marketing and SEO. Social search should be a relevant focus-treating SEO and social media as separate entities isn’t going to work.
- Updating my content regularly will magically rank my site. Updating alone won’t make your content rank, you have to be getting a healthy amount of links. You have to market your content. Without it, you won’t rank well. Always update your content and build your backlinks.
As SEO grows and expands, many more myths will rise to the surface. At Fahrenheit Marketing, we stay on top of SEO changes and work to make sure your site is up to date and ranking where it needs to be. Contact us today to see how we can help your online presence expand.